My computer won't print to my printer

I have an oldish Brother printer, a MFC-255CW. It is cable connected to my printer and wireless connected to my wife's computer. Both computers are HP all in one, both with Windows 10 using the latest update.

What I can do is use the Brother software on my computer to access the control centre and copy a paper doc or photo onto the computer. My wife's computer can print docs to paper.

What I can't do, (and I had a techie in to sort it and after four hours he was unsuccessful), is send a document from my computer to the printer. The Techie completely re-downloaded the printer software and all associated drivers. His download was registered as Brother MFC-255CW (copy 1).

In Settings/ Printers and Scanners it only shows the (Copy 1) printer and not the original printer. If I get it to search for more printers it says there aren't any. If I attempt to print a document from Open Office both Brother MFC-255CW and Brother MFC-255CW (Copy 1) are listed, but neither will send the doc to the printer. It says it has sent it, but the printer remains unresponsive.

I know the problem is in my computer as my wife's can successfully print, so her computer and the printer seem to be working perfectly. There has to be something in my computer causing the problem. So frustrating as Settings won't acknowledge the existence of the original computer yet I can send to the computer from the printer's scanner without any issues at all.

Can anyone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks, bilnrobn

I've since read the post further down the stack and tried to go back to a restore point but the computer says it can't be done as the last instal was more than ten days ago. Presumably Brother have alerted Microsoft to the problem and the next version will fix the problem. Right?

Ask a Question