Old fashioned-type simple printer?

Using Windows 7
I have a Dell v313 that I'm happy with from an all-singing all-dancing point of view
It is expensive on ink though.
I'd like to also run a simple cheap black ink printer for higher (but still quite modest) printing runs. Say 30 to 100 one-sided A4 text every few weeks.

Something that I can get refilled cartridges for.

I could buy a modest laser printer but the PC in question is in my bedroom where I work up to a few hours a day and don't want to breathe air shared by that technology for so much of the time.

I have used an HP Deskjet 1560 and one of these or similar would do.
There must be many suitable printers and I can research them in many ways.

What is harder to find out in advance and which I wish to avoid and what I'd be grateful for advice on from any kind person is getting a small printer that I can't use without a very large "helpful" software installation.

I don't want a graphics package, offers to reorganise any jpg etc. file the software can find on my PC, a massive help system (which still soon refers to Internet|), a system to tell me when ink is running out and order more, etc. etc.
(I'm already in the Dell system which is OK because I'm using a Dell laptop so I have to be. Hence the v313).

I don't want to knock HP because over the years I have had good kit with respectable support from them but their printers now seem to come with a lot of this stuff and I have had a lot of hassle trying to update the "helpful" stuff that comes with the 1560, which becomes an industry of its own.

Thus do you have experience or knowledge of a reliable black inkjet printer, doesn't have to be cheap itself but definitely cheap to run, not too old (so doesn't go out of date too soon) for which one can load just basic drivers, and the drivers work well. A bit of advisory etc. software would be OK, but with the capacity to uncheck most boxes and still have a minimum of printing setup options.

Sorry to go on at length, thanks to anyone who has ideas.

Ask a Question