Opinions needed please!

Hi all,

I am in the market for a "professional" grade printer for printing notecards.

To give you some background on what I do,
I have small print shop, and my main clients are fine artists, who I make prints of their artwork for.
I also have a number of photography clients, and I also am a Photoshop professional and hire out for design and image repair type of work.

Along with offering normal prints, I also offer notecards for my fine art clients.
I currently use an Epson 3800 for printing on notecard sized stock, but the print head has clogged again and the closest repair place is a good 3 hour drive away. The 3800 has got to be around 9-10 years old and I'm considering purchasing a new tabletop printer for my notecards.
I have a Canon Pro-4000 for most of my printing, but printing notecards on that is impossible.

I am considering an Epson P800, or maybe the Canon Pro 1000, but I'm also wondering if either of these would be overkill just to print notecards on.
Any suggestions?

Thanks

Hi all,

I am in the market for a "professional" grade printer for printing notecards.

To give you some background on what I do,
I have small print shop, and my main clients are fine artists, who I make prints of their artwork for.
I also have a number of photography clients, and I also am a Photoshop professional and hire out for design and image repair type of work.

Along with offering normal prints, I also offer notecards for my fine art clients.
I currently use an Epson 3800 for printing on notecard sized stock, but the print head has clogged again and the closest repair place is a good 3 hour drive away. The 3800 has got to be around 9-10 years old and I'm considering purchasing a new tabletop printer for my notecards.
I have a Canon Pro-4000 for most of my printing, but printing notecards on that is impossible.

I am considering an Epson P800, or maybe the Canon Pro 1000, but I'm also wondering if either of these would be overkill just to print notecards on.
Any suggestions?

Thanks
I am in a similar position

Please see my question that I have posted on other forums below. However, I have a couple of questions for you on your cards.

1 Do you print folded greeting cards?

2. What papers have you been using? I currently use the Rauch Mat Duo. It is great for matt prints and very reasonable in price. I have never found a satin or glossy paper with a rough enough back to write on correctly.

3. would you mind telling me your experience with skewing and registration on the 3800?

Below is my question for other forums. I have not yet had any answers.

I would like to hear from anyone that has experience with the Canon Pro 1000. All the reviews I have read give it high marks. I currently have an Epson 3880. I am happy with the print quality of the 3880 but I have two unique problems. I print photographic art greeting cards, 4-up on B3+ paper.

1. The 3880 does not register each sheet perfectly. It is OK for individual prints but if I print 10 or 20 sheets at a time they will all vary by either a minor skew or miss-register by a millimeter or two. This makes it impossible to take a stack of prints to a large paper cutter and group cut them. Each B3+ must be cut by hand. I have the same problem with folding.

Can anyone tell me if the Canon vacuum feed registers multiple prints accurately?

2. I score every print for folding. The ink on the 3880 sometimes cracks after scoring when folding the print. Does anyone have experience scoring a printed image and then folding it?

Any other feedback would be appreciated. Especially if anyone has switched to the Canon pro 1000 from the Epson 3880.

Thank you in advance,

Jim Palik

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jim,

Sorry for the delay in responding. I watched for a response to my post for a few days but then gave up!

In answer to your questions:
1. Yes, I print folded greeting cards.
2. The only papers I've ever used is Epson Enhanced Matte (I can use this paper because I buy 13"x19" sheet stock and have it cut and scored for me.) I have also started used Red River Linen and have had good reviews.
3. I also have problems with inconsistencies with the 3800 printing the same on each notecard. Like you mentioned the only solution I have found is to trim each by hand (!) extremely time consuming.
I am also offering bleed and non-bleed versions of my notecards, and I do that by having the same sheet stock paper cut to a layer size , and then trim off edges so the print bleeds. (I know! I must be crazy)
You've probably gathered by now that I print my notecards single, one at a time. I can place up to 15 at a time in the top feed slot.

I posted on 2 different forums and your response is the only one I've seen. Disappointing to say the least.

Hi Jim,

Sorry for the delay in responding. I watched for a response to my post for a few days but then gave up!

In answer to your questions:
1. Yes, I print folded greeting cards.
2. The only papers I've ever used is Epson Enhanced Matte (I can use this paper because I buy 13"x19" sheet stock and have it cut and scored for me.) I have also started used Red River Linen and have had good reviews.
3. I also have problems with inconsistencies with the 3800 printing the same on each notecard. Like you mentioned the only solution I have found is to trim each by hand (!) extremely time consuming.
I am also offering bleed and non-bleed versions of my notecards, and I do that by having the same sheet stock paper cut to a layer size , and then trim off edges so the print bleeds. (I know! I must be crazy)
You've probably gathered by now that I print my notecards single, one at a time. I can place up to 15 at a time in the top feed slot.

I posted on 2 different forums and your response is the only one I've seen. Disappointing to say the least.

Thanks for the reply, Fortunately I have now received a couple of replies on the Canon Pro 1000. They have been very positive however, nobody has done any registration tests. The two people that replied are going to do some for me and get back to me. Send me your name and email address and I will share their results with you.

I also would like to share more paper information. There are very few of us that print individual greeting cards.

Without your name and email address the only way I can talk with you is in the forum.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Jim

Hi Jim,

My name is:
Rick Blumquist
email address:
(e-mail address removed)

I look forward to talking to you more abut this

chanced across this whilst searching fruitlessly for simple instructions to get print material from iPad Mini 4th gen via Brother J480 with mobile PrintScan. Or am I too thick to get the obvious. Extremely ancient but very interested who just bought a Brother printer

Ask a Question