Preferences locked on Brother MFC-L2740DW

We are using a Brother MFC-L2740DW at work and connecting to it wirelessly on Win 10. I had full functionality until a couple of weeks ago when I suddenly noticed that some of my printer preferences (such as number of copies I could print of a given document) were locked. When I go to the File tab in Word and click on Print and open the "Printer properties" dialogue I even see a little lock icon next to certain functions including Copy number. I have tried removing the printer through the Devices & Printers dialogue, I have tried uninstalling the driver manually and reinstalling. I was on the phone with Brother support for an hour this morning and they ultimately said the problem must be with Word. I can't figure out why it worked for months and then suddenly stopped working? Also, my co-worker is using the same configuration and having no problems. Any help would be much appreciated.

I've had the 2740 for a couple of months and only requested 2 copies recently but only got 1 using Excel. I then tried Word and printing a .pdf file with the same result. I can actually see it switch the number back to 1 before the screen disappears. After an hour with Brother on the phone and doing a full uninstall/reinstall the preferences are still locked up and since I don't use an administrator password I can't unlock it because it keeps asking for a password. Brother is blaming it on the PC. I will call back and ask for a supervisor.

This solution does not apply to this printer, but thanks anyway. Just got off the phone with a tech support supervisor who had me to another uninstall/reinstall and the preferences still come up locked. He, like his agent on my previous call, said I need to contact my computer manufacturer for help. Since this computer plays with other brands of printer just fine, that won't be happening. Shame on Brother for not acknowledging they have buggy software and for not employing qualified Tier 1 techs who have the chops to drill down beneath the surface.

Re-install your printer driver.
First navigate as follows:
Control Panel -> Devices & Printers -> Right Click Your 2740 Icon -> Select Remove Device
Also remove any other related Icons as above.
Re-install Printer Driver using link below or using factory Install CD.
http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=mfcl2740dw_us_eu_as&os=10012

Be sure your network administrator has not locked you out at work

This applies to your machine MFC-2700DW series:
You can use your machine's control panel to reset the print server to its default factory settings. This resets all information, such as the password and IP address. Follow your manual to use control panel

This applicable to these machines:
DCP-1610W, DCP-1610WE, DCP-1610WR, DCP-1612W, DCP-1612WE, DCP-1612WR, DCP-1622WE, DCP-L2500D, DCP-L2500DR, DCP-L2520DW, DCP-L2520DWR, DCP-L2540DN, DCP-L2540DNR, MFC-1910W, MFC-1910WE, MFC-1912WR, MFC-L2700DN, MFC-L2700DNR, MFC-L2700DW, MFC-L2700DWR

• This feature restores all wired and wireless network settings to the factory settings.
  • You can also reset the print server to its factory settings using BRAdmin Light, BRAdmin Professional 3, or Web Based Management.

1. Press Menu.
  2. Press the Up or Down arrow key to display Network, and then press OK.
  3. Press the Up or Down arrow key to display Network Reset, and then press OK.
  4. Follow the machine's instruction to reset the network settings.
    The machine will restart.

The software was uninstalled and reinstalled. This is a home computer connected to the printer via USB, so no network to reset or admin password. Brother has no fix and just blames the PC. I understand it does not do this on all machines, but it obviously does it on some as demonstrated on this forum.

Davart: Try this please:

Turn printer power off > Unplug Power Cord For 10 Minutes -> Restore power -> Retry WORD.doc, Selecting 2 Copies from Printer Preferences, accessed through WORD App. This is a WORD.doc. Not PDF.

Let me know. Just a long shot, but worth the effort sometimes.

Davart: Try this please:

Turn printer power off > Unplug Power Cord For 10 Minutes -> Restore power -> Retry WORD.doc, Selecting 2 Copies from Printer Preferences, accessed through WORD App. This is a WORD.doc. Not PDF.

Let me know. Just a long shot, but worth the effort sometimes.
Did as you suggested, then watched the 2 change to a 1 as the Word.doc printed out. The locked printer preferences still override software settings.

Davart: Are you selecting two copies at printer control panel?

or

Did you select two copies from WORD application?
From within WORD at top of screen -> Select File -> Under File select "Print" -> On Print Screen Select Printing- Properties -> Select Two Copies

Let me know now

I can ONLY choose from the WORD print options screen as the printer control panel has a LOCK next to the Copies selector. THIS is the problem--it overrides whatever you select in Word or Excel or any other application. I can tell Word to print 20 copies and it just switches back to 1.

Ok, please answer few questions:
Did you get this printer new or used?
Has number of copies printed always been problem since installed?
Did you remove printer from Devices & Printer just before you tried re-install?
Did you remove any other related Icons 2740?
Did you use factory install CD or download and install latest driver From Web site?
Did you follow my instructions in RED (Reply #5)?
Is your OS Windows 10? Is it 32 or 64 bit?
What computer are you using?
Do you have access to a different computer?

I understand your printer is not on network and that it is connected via USB to computer.

If you dont mind, please try this:
Control Panel -> Devices & Printers -> Right Click Your 2740 Icon -> Select Printing Preferences -> Select 2 Copies -> Click Apply
Make Test Page (just one line ryryryryryryryryryryryryryryryry) in WORD as WORD.Doc
Select "File" at top of WORD document -> Select "Print" -> Click OK
(Make No Other Changes in WORD application)
Did you print 2 copies?

The printer was purchased new in March.
Originally attached to a Mac with no issues.
Attached to PC for about a week.
Yes I removed printer from Devices & Printers but also used Brother Utilities to uninstall per Bro supervisor.
No other icons to remove.
Initially used CD but d/l'd version from Bro website for subsequent installs
Did all you suggested in RED
OS in Windows 7 Pro 65-bit
Computer is custom built Core i5
As I said before, I cannot access the Copies option under preferences because it is LOCKED and greyed out (see below). Because of this it overrides the number of copies setting in WORD & other apps.

BroPrefs.png

I can only guess that your print preferences have somehow become password protected.
Is obvious that "Copies" and "Multi Page" selections are indeed locked.

I see this instruction on Brother's Site, if you care to try it. You are on your own.
We dont endorse any procedure, process or product.

If you wish to reset the print server back to its default factory settings (resetting all information such as the password and IP address information), please follow the steps below:

• This feature restores all wired and wireless network settings to the factory settings.
  • You can also reset the print server to its factory settings using BRAdmin Light, BRAdmin Professional 3, or Web Based Management.
Remove USB Cable -- From Your Printer Control Panel - USB Cable Removed
  1. Press
    Settings.gif
    (Settings) > All Settings > Network > Network Reset. Reset Network? Press Yes.
2. If problem persists, then suggest you Look under each heading, "Settings" - "All Settings" - "Network" - and "Network Reset". Look for Restore Factory Defaults or Settings under each.

3. Reboot computer

Here is the link to instructions specific to your printer:

http://support.brother.com/g/b/faqe...rod=mfcl2740dw_us_eu_as&faqid=faq00000105_033

I know this is a repeat of my Reply #5. Perhaps is more than you wish to tackle. Please let us know

I can only guess that your print preferences have somehow become password protected.
Is obvious that "Copies" and "Multi Page" selections are indeed locked.

I see this instruction on Brother's Site, if you care to try it. You are on your own.
We dont endorse any procedure, process or product.

If you wish to reset the print server back to its default factory settings (resetting all information such as the password and IP address information), please follow the steps below:

Remove USB Cable -- From Your Printer Control Panel - USB Cable Removed
  1. Press
    Settings.gif
    (Settings) > All Settings > Network > Network Reset. Reset Network? Press Yes.
2. If problem persists, then suggest you Look under each heading, "Settings" - "All Settings" - "Network" - and "Network Reset". Look for Restore Factory Defaults or Settings under each.

3. Reboot computer

Here is the link to instructions specific to your printer:

http://support.brother.com/g/b/faqe...rod=mfcl2740dw_us_eu_as&faqid=faq00000105_033

I know this is a repeat of my Reply #5. Perhaps is more than you wish to tackle. Please let us know
No change. I borrowed an HP laptop with Win7Pro from a friend and installed the Brother software and connected to the printer and it works perfectly, so apparently there is something going on with this machine that triggers the function locking with the Brother software. Short of reinstalling Windows, I don't think there is anything else to try, but I do appreciate the time you have spent on this. I think I am done with this as it isn't that big of an inconvenience and the printer does everything else with no problems. Thanks again.

Yep, Im out of gas as well.
You had indicated that you downloaded Printer Driver from Brother's site. However I got the idea
that you were still using the factory CD for your re-install on 2740. Could you have also used cd
on friends laptop, or might you have used the newer D/L. In other words would it be worth trying
D/L printer driver on your 2740.

Davart, its been pleasure working with you. Im sorry we couldnt have been more productive.
Guess the Windows re-install is in order. Anyway let us know if you do solve the problem.
Maybe someone else will experience similar situation. Good luck to you.

Davart: Try one more thing before we quit:
Remove Internet service or cable from your computer.
In other words, isolate computer from Internet.
Reboot computer
Try printing 2 copies once again.
Do you see any change with printing preferences.
Best Regards

Last edited:

Ask a Question