ink cartridge refilling question

Hello.
I saw a lot of instructions on the web,that explain how to refill a canon ink cartridge with a black ink by syringe through a tiny hole on the cartridge cover,but it is hard to see if the needle of the syringe,is actually,goes into the sponge while injecting the ink or it only above it.
Should i need to push the syringe needle into the sponge or the needle should be above the sponge,while refilling it with ink?

Thanks in advance.

I have always been told to shove the needle until the tip reaches the bottom of the cartridge, then inject the ink.

Thanks,tortoise,for your reply.
This is exactly,what i thought,since it looks strange to inject the ink above the sponge,while it should be on the bottom.
It seems that we lose alot of ink absorbing on the sponge for nothing if we inject it at the upper part of the sponge.
More than that,when we open a new empty cartridge,we can see that only the bottom of the sponge is absorbed by ink,while the upper part is totally white with no ink residue,what make me assume that the ink should be injected to the bottom of the sponge.
Does someone can approve that it is the way to go?
tortoise said that he has always been told to do that and it seems the right way,but is there any expert with that issue that can approve that it is the right way to go?

Just recently refilled my color and black cartridges - HP62. The filler holes were under the paper label, and easy to locate using a tutorial on utube.
Inside each compartment is a sponge which absorbs the ink injected. As far as how deep you should insert the syringe, It seems as though you should insert it changing your depth a little as you go to fill up the sponge equally. At first I thought I was breaking through the sponge just inside the cartridge and thought I needed to send the needle all the way to the bottom to fill up the cartridge. but that was not the case - The saturated sponge acts like a wick and sends the perfect amount of ink to the print head for printing.
Also be very careful not to overfill the cartridge with to much ink - When I was done I had to align the print head using the printer software and I had trouble because I injected to much ink into the black cartridge and it leaked out and wouldn't align. The black cartridge finally lost enough ink here and there, and the print head aligned and is working great now. Hope this helps for you.

Last edited:
Printer Cartridges are surprisingly costly. As an alternative, you can get it refilled at a store. The cheapest and effective alternative though is to refill it yourself. All it takes is a bottle of printer ink (hp 63xl ink cartridges) and a syringe.

Ask a Question