Light print only on CDs with Epson Artisan 710

I've used my Artisan 710 for several years mainly to print black labels on CDs and DVDs. Now the print is light unless I perform a head cleaning on the day of the print. The print on paper is fine. It isn't the media. I took a CD that already had a label and the new one was light. This happened with my old cartridge and the new one. Both were Epsons.

I've had one maybe unrelated problem. Just prior to this after loading the CD it would slip out when the tray retracted. I've been careful to make sure the CD is properly in place, but this happens one time in 10. Could the tray's alignment be causing the light print?

Be sure you are using OEM Epson 98 Black Ink.
Try different brand of white printable CD/DVD.
I have Artisan 730 and never had CD slip out of place in tray.
When inserting CD, press down slightly, so cd engages tray.
You will probably feel it slip into place, as you press.

Be sure you are using OEM Epson 98 Black Ink.
Try different brand of white printable CD/DVD.
I have Artisan 730 and never had CD slip out of place in tray.
When inserting CD, press down slightly, so cd engages tray.
You will probably feel it slip into place, as you press.

I am using OEM Epson 98 Black Ink. This began with a cartridge with 15% ink remaining. It had been problem free until then. The new cartridge had the same problem. I only use Taiyo Yuden (TDK) cds and have been doing so for many years. The problem even occurred printing a second label on an old CD that printed OK originally.

Since head cleaning temporarily solves your problem, can only surmise that the head really needs
a thorough cleaning. I have never had to do this on my machine, but you might find these Youtube
videos of some help:

And then there are many Youtube videos on these pages:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=epson+print+heads+cleaning+

Please note that we do not endorse any procedure, process or product used in the
cleaning of clogged print heads.

Ask a Question